Wednesday, June 01, 2011

laparoscopic cholecystectomy

After enduring several bouts of indigestion, bloating and some chest pains in the last few months, I had a cardio echo stressed and some other tests done to eliminate any heart problems as suggested by my GP.
But deep down i know that my symptoms may be related to my digestive system rather than my cardio/heart. The reason being that the pain or discomfort often goes off after I burped.
Hence when I suggested to the GP that I do an ultrasound test for my gall balder and she relented. It was true enough that many gall stones were found in my gallbladder. It was slightly inflamed as well and hence the occasional chest pain. The curious bit is that they expect the pain to be often felt on the left side and rather than the right side.


So the keyhole gall bladder removal is the best option suggested by the consulting surgeon. I have a family history of gall stones as my dad and younger brother had it. In fact my younger brother died from what I suspect was a complication from gall bladder stone to become pancreacitis. (as they are not very definite in the diagnosis in Malaysia 20 year ago.)

The surgery that was scheduled on monday, 30th May went well, I was a private patient hence do not have to be on the long waiting list in the public hospital system. But i do need to pay some out of pocket expenses as the health insurance does not cover the gap between the anaesthetist's charges or the surgeon's fee. The surgeon, Mr Micheal Cheng was kind enough to waive the fee gap which we are very grateful.

A good diagrammatic youtube for the surgery is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECmwbwIrBI8&feature=related

For those who are not turn-off by seeing real fresh and blood being cut, there are some real footage of real surgery on youtube too. But some may find it a bit squeamish but I have watched them and find it very informative. For instance, it takes a bit of efforts to cut the blabber from all the fats and tissue attaching the gall bladder to the underside of the liver.

I have 4 holes on my abdomen right now waiting for healing to take place in the next few days.
This what i got from online pics search
My bloated abdomen with 4 holes. there is slight bleeding after one change of dressing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tailim said...

Hi,
How r you? Hope you have recovered and are in the best of health by now.

Best regards.

8:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Web Site Counter